Part 1-A New Floods Chapter 9 Important Conversation || "Ponniyin Selvan" of Kalki Krishnamurthy Tamil Historic Novel about the Great King Raja Raja Cholan

 CHAPTER 9: Important Conversation 

Vandiyathevan had spent his life until now in the arid areas adjoining the banks of the dry river Palar. Therefore he did not know how to swim across a river in spate. Once when he had been on guard duty on the northern bank of the Pennar, he had stepped into the river for a bath and been caught in a whirlpool. He had been whipped around in the dangerous eddy, dragged under water and lost all powers of resistance. Just as he was giving up hope, he had somehow emerged.

The flood waters had washed him ashore.

When Vandiyathevan eventually went to sleep, he felt the same sensations he had had during this experience: as if unwittingly he were caught in a whirlpool of official intrigue. Could he escape from this as he had earlier from the whirlpool in the river? Would God save him again?

He had almost choked on the information he had gathered at night, in the Sambuvaraiyar palace. Only recently had the Chozha empire rid itself of its troublesome external foes.

Prince Aditha Karikalar was a great warrior; a Chanakya in statecraft and an expert in warfare. He had used his extraordinary intelligence and the skill of the Chozha forces to uproot the Rashtrakutas from Thondai Mandalam. All the external threats had somehow been countered. Internal feuds and conspiracies now reared their heads. What would the consequences of these internecine plots, which were more dangerous than external threats, be?

Weren't all those involved in this dangerous venture, reputed warriors, ministers, dignitaries and officials of the Chozha empire? How great the Pazhuvettarayar brothers were! Their power! Their reputation! And how famous, brave and powerful were those who had gathered here! Was this the first time they had met? To how many other places had Pazhuvettarayar taken Maduranthakar in a closed palanquin? Marrying a young girl in his old age had made it all so convenient.

Vandiyathevan had thought until now that only Crown Prince Aditha Karikalar had the right to ascend the throne. He had never imagined, even in his dreams, that this could be challenged. He had heard of Maduranthakar and knew that like his father had been, he was a great devotee of Siva. But he had not been aware that Maduranthakar had a right to the throne and could stake a claim to it. Where did justice lie?

Who really had the right to the throne? Aditha Karikalar? Or Maduranthakar? The more he thought about it, the more he felt that both sides were justified in their claim. Who would eventually succeed?

He asked himself, what his duty was. When I left Kanchipuram, he thought, I had so many plans. I wanted to do what Aditha Karikalar wished and achieve a high post in the government. I thought I might even be able to retrieve what the Vana clan had once owned. But everything he had depended upon for help and support now looked as though it would disintegrate. When he returned to bed, all these thoughts crowded into Vandiyathevan’s mind, keeping him awake. Finally, just before sunrise, he drifted into sleep.

He did not get up even when the sun's rays fell sharply on him next morning. It was only when Kandan Maran shook him awake that he got up with a start.

“Did you sleep well?” Kandan Maran asked with formal politeness. “After the other guests retired, I came to see you. You were serving [40] Kumbakarnan,” he said.

Checking the thoughts that flooded his mind, Vandiyathevan replied, “The last thing I remember is coming here after the kuravai koothu. I’ve just woken up. Adada! It's really late! It must be a jamam, three hours, after sunrise now. I must leave at once. Kandamara, please ask your servants to ready my horse.

“You want to leave now? Don’t be silly. What's the hurry? You must stay at least ten days with me,” urged Kandan Maran.

“No, appane. I had news that my mama in Thanjavur is critically ill and may not survive long. I hate to leave, but I must see him at once,” said Vandiyathevan, lying blatantly.

“In that case, you must stay with me for a few days on your way back.” “We’ll think about it then. Please let me leave now.”

“Not in such a hurry. Have your morning meal. I’ll come with you as far as the Kollidam.”

“How can you do that when you have such important guests staying with you?”

“None of them is more important than you.” Kandan Maran stopped abruptly, then added, “My father and the other palace officials will look after them. I could not talk to you for long last night. At least we can catch up with each other on the way to the Kollidam. I would really feel happy if I could

 

spend a little time with you. I’ll come with you till we reach the banks of the Kollidam.”

“I've no objection... whatever you like... whatever is convenient...”

In a little while, they left the Sambuvaraiyar palace on horseback. The horses moved slowly and it was a pleasant journey. Even the westerly winds that sprayed them with dust did not bother them. They became engrossed in talking about old times.

Vandiyathevan said, “Kandamara, staying with you has been of great value to me, even though it was only for a night. Only One thing disappointed me. You used to give me such glowing descriptions of your sister in the days when we were on guard duty. But I really did not get a good look at her. When she hid behind your mother and peered at us, I could see only an eighth of her face. She seems extremely shy.”

Kandan Maran obviously wanted to say something, but no words emerged.

“It doesn’t matter. You asked me to stay with you on my way back. I’ll see her at that time. Maybe she won’t be as shy then. What did you say her name was?”

“Manimekalai.”

“Adada! What a sweet-sounding name! If she’s as beautiful and good as her name.

“My friend!” interrupted Kandan Maran, “I have to ask you to forget my sister. Please forget everything I told you about her and never mention her again.”

“What's all this about, Kandamara? Everything seems to have turned topsy-turvy. You hinted even last night that I might become the son-in-law of the family.”

“It’s true I said that. But the situation has changed. My parents have decided to get her married to someone else and Manimekalai has agreed.”

Vandiyathevan rejoiced silently at her decision. It was easy to guess who the young man was. It had to be Maduranthakar, the man who had emerged from the covered palanquin.

“Aha! It must be one of the rich guests who was there yesterday, Kandamara. I’m not surprised or disappointed. Actually, I had been expecting this.”

“You expected it?”

“Who would offer his daughter to a destitute like me? Which girl would consent to marry a man without a house or title? That my ancestors once ruled a kingdom... how does it count now?”

“My friend! Stop! Don’t be so contemptuous of me and my family. That’s not the right reason. There's something very important behind this. When you learn what it is you’ll agree with me. But I can’t tell you what it is now.”

“Kandamara! Why do you speak in riddles?”

“Please forgive me, I can’t talk about it openly, even to you. Believe me, whatever happens, nothing will damage our friendship. When the time comes, I’ll run to you with the news. Have faith in me till then. I will never forsake you.”

“Thank you for that promise. But what could happen to make you forsake me? I’m not the kind of person who depends On others, Kandamara, it’s my own sword and lance that I have faith in.” “The time may not be too far away when you have to use them, when we will fight side by side, shoulder to shoulder. Your wish may be fulfilled then.”

“What? You think there’ll be a war soon? Or do you plan to fight in the battle at Eezham?”

 

“Eezham! You'll be surprised to hear about the war going on there. It seems the rice and provisions that the armies need have to be sent from here. What a disgrace! But I’m speaking of something else. Please be patient. I’ll tell you when the time comes. Don’t coax the words out of my mouth now.”

“All right! All right! Don't tell me anything if you don’t want to. Don’t even open your mouth. There, I can see the Kollidam.”

They could see the wide river, which was in spate. They reached the banks in a few minutes.

With the fresh rains of Adi, the water level now touched the banks. The bank opposite seemed a long way off and the trees on it looked like small plants. Eddies of turgid brown water shaped like rounded kolams raced joyously along, attempting to breach the bunds. Amazed, Vandiyathevan watched the river roaring eastwards.

A punt was anchored on the wharf and two men with long poles stood ready to set off. Someone, apparently a devout Saivite, was already seated in the boat.

Catching sight of the newcomers walking along the bank, one of the boatmen asked, “Sami do you want to come in the boat?”

Kandan Maran said, “Yes, this man does. Wait for him.”

The friends dismounted. “How thoughtless of me! What will I do with this horse? Can it be accommodated on the boat?” asked Vandiyathevan.

“It’s all right. Two of my men are with us. One of them will take your horse to Kadambur. The other will cross over with you and arrange for a fresh horse for you,” said Kandan Maran.

 

“Aha! What foresight! You’re a true friend!” exclaimed Vandiyathevan warmly.

“Maybe you thought the Kollidam is like the Palar or the Pennar. You can’t ferry horses across this river.”

“Yes! I’m sorry I underestimated the rivers in your Chozha country. What a river this is! It surges like an ocean.”

The friends embraced and parted. Vandiyathevan stepped into the boat along with one of Kandan Maran's men.

The boat was ready to leave. The punters dipped their oars into the water.

Suddenly they heard a voice in the distance. “Stop! Stop the boat!”

The person who had called out came up to them. Vandiyathevan recognized him at once. It was Azhwarkadiyan Nambi.

As soon as he realised that the man was a Vaishnavite, the Saivite who was in the boat shouted, “Let the boat leave, I won’t be in it with that infidel! He can come in the next boat.”

Vandiyathevan looked at the boatman and said, “Be patient. Let him come. There’s plenty of place in the boat, let's take him along.”

Vandiyathevan was anxious to find out many things about the events of the night before from Azhwarkadiyan.

*****

Join our Telegram Group to get instant notification regarding New Chapter Updates: https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1
Previous Chapter             Chapter List               Next Chapter


No comments:

Post a Comment