Part 1-A New Floods Chapter 8 Who is in the Palanquin? || "Ponniyin Selvan" of Kalki Krishnamurthy Tamil Historic Novel about the Great King Raja Raja Cholan

 CHAPTER 8: Who is in the Palanquin?


For a while, the people in the gathering talked and debated among themselves. With the clamour of many voices falling on his ears, Vandiyathevan could not hear anything clearly.

Sambuvaraiyar raised his voice, “Should we not answer Pazhuvettarayar's question? What is the point of each one of you talking for himself. It’s getting late and the moon has risen.”

“I have a doubt which others may share. If Pazhuvettarayar will not get angry, I would like to ask a question,” said the feeble voice which we heard earlier.

“Isn’t that Vanangamudiyar? Let him come into the light.” “Yes, it’s me. I’m here,” answered Vanangamudiyar.

 “I usually vent my anger on my enemies on the battlefield, not on my friends. You are free to ask me anything you want.”

“In that case, I will. There are people who level the same accusation against Pazhuvettarayar as he does against the Emperor. I may not believe this, but I want clarification.”

“What is it? What clarification?”

“All of us know that Pazhuvettarayar married a girl two years ago.”

Sambuvaraiyar interrupted angrily, “We object strongly to Vanangamudiyar bringing up this topic. It is not right to ask our peerless leader and our principal guest such a distasteful question.”

“I beg Sambuvaraiyar to be patient. Vanangamudiyar is welcome to ask me whatever he wants. It is better to come Out with things openly than keep them in one’s mind. It is true that I married a young girl after my fifty-fifth year. I don’t deny it. I do not claim to be a [38] Kaliyuga Rama. Nor have I ever said that I have taken a vow to have only one wife. I loved the girl and she loved me. We fell in love and married according to the custom of the ancient Tamils. What is wrong with that?”

“There's nothing wrong,” shouted many voices from the crowd.

“I did not say that marrying her was wrong. Which man among us has only one wife? But... but.

“But what? Please don't hesitate, say what’s on your mind.”

“Some people say that Pazhuvettarayar consults his newly wedded wife on everything and does as she bids him. People say he consults her even on matters of state. He takes her wherever he goes.”

Someone in the crowd laughed.

Sambuvaraiyar sprang up, unsheathed his sword and shouted, “Who laughed? Let him come forward and explain.”

 “It was I who laughed. Don’t get agitated,” said Pazhuvettarayar. He turned to Vanangamudiyar and asked, “Is it a crime for the woman I married legally to accompany me wherever I go? It’s true that I take her with me to many places. But it's wrong to say that I consult her on state matters. I never do that.”

“In that case, I ask Pazhuvettarayar to clear one more doubt. What is the palanquin which should be in the anthappuram doing here while we are in secret conclave? Is there anyone inside it? If there isn’t, how is it I heard someone’s throat being cleared and the tinkle of bangles?”

As soon as Vanangamudiyar said this, a strange silence enveloped the crowd. Since many people had had the same suspicion, no one had the courage to contradict Vanangamudiyar. Sambuvaraiyar’s lips moved but no sound emerged.

Pazhuvettarayar's sonorous voice broke the silence. “A good question. I will have to answer it. I’ll clear your doubt before we disperse. Can you be patient for another half hour? Do you have that much faith in me?”

“Of course, of course. We have implicit faith in Pazhuvettarayar,” said many voices.

“I do not want anyone to think that I have less respect and faith in Pazhuvettarayar than they do. He asked me to speak my mind, so I asked the question. Otherwise, his word is my command and I am willing to sacrifice my life at his behest,” said Vanangamudiyar.

“I understand Vanangamudiyar. I also know that all of you have faith in me. Let us first conclude the business for which we are gathered here. May Sundara Chozhar live long and rule the kingdom. But if something happens to him, if the physicians are proved right and if predictions based on evil omens like the comet are fulfilled, we have to decide who will succeed him.”

 “We would like you to tell us your opinion. Nobody here will go against it.”

“That's not right. All of you must think for yourself and say what you feel. I wish to remind you of certain events in the past.”

“The great warrior, Gnani Kandaraditha Thevar, died unexpectedly twenty-four years ago. At that time, his son Maduranthaka Thevar was only a year old. Therefore, before he died, he proclaimed that his brother Arinjaya Thevar should succeed him. His consort, Sembiyanmadevi announced this. Accordingly, we crowned Arinjaya Thevar. As fate would have it, Arinjayar did not occupy the throne more than a year. His eldest son, Paranthaka Sundara Chozhar, was then twenty years old. With the welfare of the empire and its future at heart, all of us, ministers, officials, princes and others united and decided to crown him king. We never regretted it. Sundara Chozhar ruled the country without infringing any of the laws until two years ago. He respected our feelings, consulted us on all matters and was an excellent administrator. The empire expanded and prospered. Now his health has become a cause for anxiety. Who has the right to succeed him? Maduranthaka Thevar, the exalted son of Kandaradithar, has now come of age and is fully qualified to rule the country. In all aspects, intelligence, education, character and devotion, he is well equipped to ascend the throne. Sundara Chozhar’s son, Aditha Karikalar, younger than Madurantakar by a year, is the general of the northern army. Which of the two should rightfully ascend the throne?

What is the law of the clan? What is right, what is wrong, according to the Law of Manu? What is the ancient Tamil practice? Should Maduranthakar, the son of the older brother, or Adithar, the grandson of the younger, be crowned? Each one of you should say what he thinks.”

“Only Maduranthakar, the son of the older Kandaradhithar has a right to the throne. That is just, right and appropriate,” said Sambuvaraiyar.

 “I think so too.”

“I’m of the same opinion.”

Many voices in the gathering spoke.

“I agree with you. The throne is rightfully Maduranthakar’s. But are we ready to make the effort to establish that right? Are we ready to sacrifice our bodies, our spirits, our wealth and our lives for this struggle? Each one of us must pledge his willingness to do this before Durga. Are we prepared?” asked Pazhuvettarayar, his voice rising emotionally.

For a while, there was silence. Sambuvaraiyar said, “With God as our witness, we are ready to take an oath. But I need to first ascertain something. What is Maduranthakar’s wish? Is he willing to ascend the throne and take on its responsibilities? We hear that Kandaradithar’s beloved son has renounced worldly pleasures and immersed himself in devotion to Siva and that he has no desire to govern the kingdom. His mother, Sembiyanmadevi, is completely against her son being crowned. We wish to hear the truth from you.”

“A good question. And you ask at the right moment. It is also my duty to clarify this. I should have done it earlier. Forgive me for this lapse on my part.” Pazhuvettarayar continued, “The whole country knows that Sembiyanmadevi tried to divert her son's attention from the governance of the kingdom to the path of devotion. Because once his interest in the throne is known his life may be in danger. It’s only natural for a mother to wish that her son stay alive rather than ascend the throne and be in danger!”

“Aha! Is that so?” asked many voices. “Maduranthakar viewed his mother’s wish as a divine

command and led a life of detachment. He was an ardent devotee of Siva. But his attitude seems to have changed recently. The conviction that the kingdom belongs to him and that it is his duty to take care of it has taken deep root in his mind. If he knows that all of you are willing to support him he will proclaim this in public.”

“What proof is there for this?”

“I will provide satisfactory proof. If I do, are all of you prepared to swear your allegiance?”

“Yes, yes, we are prepared,” said many voices. “And there is no doubt in anyone’s mind?” “No! No!”

“In that case, I will give you proof at once and also clear Vanangamudiyar’s doubts.” Pazhuvettarayar strode rapidly towards the palanquin.

With great humility he said, “May it please my prince to draw the curtain aside and emerge from the palanquin? Please give your darshan to all these brave warriors who are willing to sacrifice their bodies, their lives and their souls for you.”

 Hidden behind a pillar, Vandiyathevan, who was listening raptly to everything without missing a word looked down cautiously. A hand drew the curtain aside. It was golden in colour, the same one he had seen. But what he had taken to be a bangle was a bracelet of the kind that princes wear. A golden face appeared, like the full moon, and smiled. A body like Manmathan’s followed. Was this Maduranthakar, the son of Kandaradithar? Vandiyathevan had thought it was a girl because he was inside a palanquin. Azhwarkadiyan had made the same mistake. Vandiyathevan turned to see whether Azhwarkadiyan's head was still visible. But there was darkness beneath the shadow of the tree and nothing was visible.

Then he heard the sound of cheering. “Long live Maduranthaka Thevar!”

“Long live the Crown Prince! Vetrivel! Veeravel!”

The crowd waved swords animatedly and brandished spears as they shouted. Realizing that it would be dangerous if he stayed there any longer, Vandiyathevan returned to his quarters and lay down.

Join our Telegram Group to get instant notification regarding New Chapter Updates: https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1
Previous Chapter             Chapter List               Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment