Part 1-A New Floods Chapter 11 A Sudden Entry || "Ponniyin Selvan" of Kalki Krishnamurthy Tamil Historic Novel about the Great King Raja Raja Cholan

 CHAPTER 11 A Sudden Entry

At that time of our story the town now listed even in dictionaries of English as Kumbakonam was known as Kudandhai or Kudamookhu. Apart from being a well-known centre of pilgrimage, it was also popular as the town in which the Kudandhai josier lived.

A short distance to the south-east of Kudandhai stood Pazhayarai, the interim capital of the Chozhas. With its many storeyed palaces that reached up to the sky and its tall temple gopurams, it was a magnificent sight.

*****

The Kudandhai josier had collected the horoscopes of the members of all the princely families. Going through them now, he found Vanathi's horoscope.

He studied it intently for a while, glanced briefly at Vanathi's face before turning his attention to the horoscope again.

Several times he alternated between scrutinising her face and the horoscope never once opening his mouth to say a word.

“What is it josier? Are you going to say something or not?” asked Kundavai.

“Thaaye! What can I say? I saw this horoscope once, entirely by chance. I could not believe my eyes. I put it aside, wondering whether what I had seen could be true. Now, when - I look at the horoscope and this girl’s face together, I’m absolutely amazed.”

“You can be amazed all you want, but tell me something about the horoscope.”

“Thaaye! This is an extremely lucky horoscope. Please don’t be annoyed if I tell you that it's even luckier than yours. I’ve never come across such a marvellous horoscope.”

Kundavai smiled. Embarrassed, Vanathi said, “Akka! He calls this unfortunate woman the world’s most fortunate person. Everything he says must be as contrary as this statement.”

 “Amma! What did you say? If I’ve made a mistake, I’ll give up my profession.”

“Don’t do that, josier. You have to keep saying pleasant things to people. But what you’ve told us is too vague. It’s not clear enough. That’s why she doesn’t believe you.”

“You want me to be more precise? Four months ago, something happened which appeared to be a bad omen. But it was really not so. It was an incident which will bring this high-born girl great good fortune.”

“Vanathi, what did I tell you?” said Kundavai. “Maybe you’ve prepared him earlier...,” said Vanathi. “Did you hear what she said?”

“Thaaye, let her say whatever she wants now. Tomorrow, when she marries a king among kings.

“That's the thing to say! Young girls are happy to listen only if you talk to them about marriage.”

“That’s what I wanted to talk about. But, Thaaye, if I had said so straight away, you would have said I’d lost my head.”

“From where will her husband be? When will he appear? What characteristics should we look for? Can you tell all this from the horoscope?”

“Aha! Why not? I can indeed.” The josier took a closer look at the horoscope. Whether he was really studying it or just pretending to, we do not really know.

He looked up and said, “Ammani! This princess's husband is not from far away. He is from this region. But that warrior of warriors is not in our country now. He is somewhere beyond the seas.”

 Kundavai looked at Vanathi. Although she tried hard, Vanathi could not control the joy that rose within and her face revealed what she felt.

“Who is he? From which clan? Is there any way of finding Out?”

“Of course. The lucky man who's going to marry her will have lines shaped like a conch and a disc on his palms.”

Kundavai looked at Vanathi again. Vanathi's gaze was on the ground. “That means, there has to be some sign on her palms as well,” said Kundavai.

“Thaaye! Have you ever looked at the soles of her feet?” asked the josier.

“Why josier? Are you suggesting I massage her legs?” “No! I’m not saying that. But there’ll be a day when many princesses and queens will perform penance in order to have an opportunity to touch the feet of this jewel among women.”

“Akka! This old man is making fun of me. Is it for this that you brought me here?” Vanathi was really angry.

“Why are you so distressed? Let him say what he wants.”

“These are not empty words. I’m just telling you what I can read in this horoscope. Poets sometimes describe the soles of the feet flatteringly as pada-tamarai, lotus feet. Ask this girl to show you her feet. You’ll find the outlines of lotus petals on their soles.”

“Enough, josier! One word more and she’ll drag me away forcibly. Please tell us something about the man who's going to marry her”

“Aha! I'll tell you! The man fortunate enough to hold her hand will be a great warrior. He'll wear garlands of victory won on hundreds of battlefields. He will be acclaimed by innumerable monarchs, be a king among kings and occupy the throne for a long time.”

“I don’t believe you. How can that happen?” Kundavai’s face showed a mixture of excitement, joy and fear.

“I don’t believe him either. He must have someone else in mind. He's saying this to please you,” said Vanathi.

“Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe me today. But one day you will believe me. Don't forget this poor josier at that time.”

“Akka! Shall we go?” asked Vanathi again. Tears hung at the corners of her dark eyes.

“There's one more thing I have to tell you. Listen to it before you leave. The warrior who is going to marry this princess will face many dangers and there will be moments when his life is threatened. He has a number of enemies as well.”

“Aiyo!”

“Eventually all the dangers will disappear. His enemies will be destroyed. This girl’s bridegroom will overcome all obstacles and attain great heights. There's something even more important that I must tell you. Thaaye, I'm old. So, I can speak openly without hiding anything from you. One of these days, take a look at this girl’s abdomen. If you don’t see the outline of a banyan leaf I will give up my profession.”

“What's significant about a banyan leaf”

“You know the deity who reclines on a banyan leaf. This girl will bear a son with the attributes of that Thirumal. While her husband will have to confront many dangers and obstacles, the son who emerges from her womb will face no obstacles. He will achieve everything he desires. Everything he touches will turn to gold. Any country he steps into will become part of his empire. Wherever his eye turns, the tiger standard will fly. Thaaye! The armies led by her son will march forward, encountering no resistance, like the fresh floods of the Ponni. Jayalakshmi, the Goddess of Success, will serve him submissively. His country’s fame will spread through all the three worlds. The fame of his dynasty will last as long as the world exists.”

The josier spoke like one possessed. Kundavai stared at his face, listening to every word. She turned around, startled, when she heard a feeble voice call, “Akka—”

“Something is happening to me.” Vanathi's voice grew feebler and she collapsed.

“Josier! Please get me some water quickly.” Kundavai lifted Vanathi and laid her head on her lap. She sprinkled the water the josier brought on Vanathi's face.

“Nothing will happen, Amma. Don't worry,” said the josier.

“I’m not worried. This is quite usual with her, it’s happened five or six times. She’ll open her eyes in a while and ask, ‘Is this earth or [37] Kailasam?’” replied Kundavai.

Softly she continued, “Josier! There's something else I want to ask you. It seems the people in all the towns and villages have been talking for quite a while about a comet they’ve seen. Does it really signify anything? Is the throne in danger? Will there be any changes, any confusion?”

“Thaaye! Please don't ask me that. There's no way of forecasting the fate of countries, or historical events; they don’t have horoscopes. I’ve not learned these things in my study of astrology. Only yogis, seers or rishis can see into the future with their inner eye. This humble soul does not have that power. Dates, stars, horoscopes, astrological calculations, are all ineffective where matters of state are concerned.”

 

“Josier! You answer very cleverly. You don’t need the horoscope of the kingdom. You can tell me about my father and brothers, can’t you — a study of their horoscopes will be like studying the government's future.”

“I’ll do that some other day. Amma, it’s generally a bad period now, one full of danger. Everyone must be careful.”

“Josier! I’ve been worried ever since my father left Pazhayarai for Thanjavur.”

“I’ve already told you, Amma, the Emperor faces great danger. So does your family. But all these problems will be resolved through Durga Devi's grace.”

“Akka! Where are we?” They suddenly heard Vanathi's weak voice. Vanathi's eyelashes fluttered like the wings of a bee as she lay on Kundavai’s lap. She looked around her, her eyes wide open.

“Dearest! We’re still on earth. The heavenly chariot that will take us to Swarga, Heaven, is yet to arrive. Get up. Let’s go back to the palace in our own horse-drawn chariot.”

Vanathi sat up and asked. “Did I faint?”

“No, you didn't. You just fell asleep for a little while on your Akka's lap. I even sang a lullaby. Didn't you hear it?”

“Don’t scold me, Akka. I don’t know why, my head began to spin.”

“Indeed it must have! If this josier had predicted the same things for me as he did for you, my head would have spun too!”

“It wasn’t that, Akka. As if I believed what he said!”

“Whether you believed it or not, you frightened the josier. I shouldn’t take a coward like you anywhere.”

 

“I told you I didn’t want to come to the josier.”

“It was my fault. Get up, let’s go. Can you go up those four steps? Or do you want me to carry you on my hip?”

“No, I can walk by myself.”

“Wait, Amma. Let me give you Devi's prasadam before you leave.” The josier began to bundle up his manuscripts.

“Josier! You said so many things about me, but nothing about Akka,” said Vanathi.

“Amma! I`ve told Ilaya Piratti everything. What more can I say?”

“The great hero who is going to marry Akka."

“A peerless warrior....” interrupted Kundavai.

“Is there any doubt? A very brave prince; one who possesses all the thirty-two favourable features. As intelligent as Brihaspathi; as learned in the arts as Saraswathi; as handsome as Manmathan — no, as  Arjuna.”

“When will this brilliant match for Ilaya Piratti come and from where?”

“He’s coming, Amma. He’ll come very soon.”

“How will he come? On horseback? Or riding a chariot? Or walking? Or will he leap from the sky and come crashing through the roof” jested Kundavai.

Vanathi said excitedly, “I hear horse's hooves.”

“How astonishing that you can hear what nobody else can!” 

“I’m not joking. Please listen.”

It was true. They heard a horse galloping down the road.

 “So what? Surely there are horses in the town of Kudandhai.” 

“No, it seems to be coming here.”

“You’re imagining things. Let’s go.”

At that moment they heard a commotion at the entrance and the sound of voices.

“Isn’t this the josier’s house?” 

“Yes. Who are you?”

“Is the josier in?” 

“You can’t go in.” 

“I will.”

“I won't allow you.”

“I must see the josier.” 

“Come back later.”

“I can’t. I’m in a hurry.” 

“Hey! Hey! Stop! Stop!” 

“Move asides Or I’ll kill you.” 

“Aiyo! Don't! Don't go in!”

The outer door was flung open noisily. A young man rushed in. Another man tried to pull him back, dragging him by the shoulders. The young man shook him off and entered the room.

Readers would have guessed who the young man was. It was our brave Vandiyathevan!

Three pairs of eyes turned towards him simultaneously.

Vandiyathevan looked at them. No, he looked at only one of them. And he did not see her fully. He saw only Kundavai Devi's golden face. Did he look properly at least at that? No! He saw her coral-red lips parted slightly in astonishment. He saw the surprise, mischief and laughter in her eyes. He saw her eyelashes, her dark eyebrows. He saw her ivory-coloured forehead. He saw her kumkumam coloured cheeks and the dimples on them. He saw her neck, smooth as a conch. He saw all this at the same time but registered each feature separately.

All this took only a few seconds. Then he turned to the josier's disciple and said, “My man! Why didn't you tell me there were women in here? If you had, I wouldn’t have rushed in like this.” He brushed the disciple aside. As he went out, he turned and looked at Kundavai Devi again.

“Ade appa! It feels like the calm after a storm!” said Kundavai.

“It’s not over yet. Listen!” said Vanathi. They could hear Vandiyathevan arguing with the josier’s disciple.

“Josier, who is he?”

“I don’t know, Amma. He’s not from this town. He seems such a ruffian.

Kundavai suddenly thought of something and burst out laughing.

“Akka, why are you laughing?”

“Why? We were wondering whether my future husband would arrive on a horse, or in a chariot or jump through the roof.

That’s what made me laugh.” Vanathi couldn’t help laughing either.

The sound of their laughter rose like waves and drowned the noise of the argument.

 Sunk in thoughtful silence, the josier offered the princesses kumkumam and accompanied them out.

Vandiyathevan was standing a little away from the entrance. He said loudly, “I ask your forgiveness. This smart fellow didn’t tell me there were women inside. That’s why I rushed in.”

Kundavai looked at Vandiyathevan, her large eyes full of mischief, amusement and impudence. She did not say a word in reply. She took Vanathi's hand and led her to the banyan tree under which stood their chariot.

“These Kudandhai girls don’t know what politeness means. If a man talks to them spontaneously, can’t they say at least a word in reply?” Vandiyathevan spoke loud enough for both the women to hear.

The chariot was ready and the horses already yoked. The two princesses climbed into it.

The chariot sped towards the banks of the Arisilar. Vandiyathevan watched until it disappeared.


Join our Telegram Group to get instant notification regarding New Chapter Updates: https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1
Previous Chapter             Chapter List               Next Chapter


No comments:

Post a Comment