Part 1-A New Floods Chapter 12 Nandini || "Ponniyin Selvan" of Kalki Krishnamurthy Tamil Historic Novel about the Great King Raja Raja Cholan

 CHAPTER 12 Nandini

Should we not tell you now how Vandiyathevan, whom we had left on the banks of the Kollidam, turned up at the Kudandhai josier's house?

As soon as the boat began to move, the Veerasaivite Bhat who had objected to being in it with Azhwarkadiyan Nambi said to Vandiyathevan, “Thambi! I allowed him to come with us for your sake. But, as long as he is in the boat he must not utter that eight-syllabled (Om namo Narayanaya) word. If he does, I’ll see that he’s pushed into the Kollidam. The boatmen are under my orders.”

“Nambi! Did that fall on your sacred ears?” asked Vandiyathevan.

“If he does not utter that panchakshara, that five-syllabled word (Om namasivaya), I will not utter the holy eight- syllabled word either,” replied Azhwarkadiyan.

“Who is he to prevent me from uttering the panchakshara of the all-pervasive Siva? No! No!” roared the Bhat.

Tie me to a boulder Cast me in the sea Namasivaya— Will protect me 

Azhwarkadiyan sang:

Craving endlessly I found The name of Narayanan

As he sang, the Saivite shouted, “Siva, Siva, Siva,” and plugged his ears with his fingers. He did not remove them until Azhwarkadiyan stopped singing.

Azhwarkadiyan looked at Vandiyathevan and said, “Thambi, ask this Veerasaivite why it troubles  him  even  to  hear Vishnu's name mentioned. It is only after washing the lotus feet of the Perumal of Srirangam that this river flows down from its source. It's because its waters have been sanctified in this way that Siva immerses himself in it and does penance at Thiruvanaikaval.”

The enraged Saivite sprang on Azhwarkadiyan. As they wrestled in a corner of the boat, it looked like the boat would capsize. The boatmen and Vandiyathevan intervened and separated them.

“You great devotees! It looks as though both of you want to drown in the Kollidam and go to heaven. But I still have many matters to attend to in this world,” said Vandiyathevan.

One of the boatmen said, “I don’t know whether they'll reach heaven by jumping into the Kollidam. But they’ll certainly reach the crocodile's stomach! Look there!”

A crocodile lay there with its jaws wide open.

“I’m not the least bit afraid of crocodiles. Where has Narayana, who saved Gajendran the elephant, from the jaws of a crocodile gone now?” asked Azhwarkadiyan.

“Where has he gone? Perhaps he's hiding behind the saree pallus of the gopikas in Brindavan,” said the Saivite.

“Or Siva might be in trouble, like he was when he fled af. ter granting [16] Basmasuran a boon. Vishnu must have gone to save him,” said Nambi.

“Does this Vaishnavite not remember how Vishnu was disgraced at the time of the destruction of Tripuram?” asked the Saivite.

“Swamis! Why are you quarrelling like this? Why doesn’t each one of you worship the god he is devoted to?” asked Vandiyathevan.

It is now time to tell the readers why the Saivite savant and Azhwarkadiyan were quarrelling and why a similar debate took place at Veeranarayanapuram.

About six hundred years before our story, both Buddhism and Jainism were equally respected in the old Tamil country.

Because of this, Tamizhagam enjoyed many benefits. Arts, painting, sculpture, music and poetry were at their zenith. Then came the Hindu saints, the Azhwars and the [49] Nayanmars. An outpouring of divine Tamil music emerged from them of Saivism and Vaishnavism. They used music, art and sculpture to spread their religious beliefs. Many of them set Azhwar pasurams and the thevara panns to sacred music, suited to religious themes and began to sing them. Their music stirred the souls of their listeners inspiring deep fervour and devotion. The holy places of the Vaishnavites were made famous by the Azhwars, and the Saivite shrines which found a place in songs, attained a new stature and holiness. Temples which had been constructed from bricks and wood were renovated and rebuilt with granite. These services were performed by the Chozha kings and by the members of the royal family from the time of Vijayalaya Chozhan. #

During this same period, an event of special importance took place in Kerala. A saint was born in Kaladi. He renounced the world at an early age and became a sanyasi. He mastered all the sasthrams in Sanskrit. He established the Advaita school of thought on the basis of the Upanishads, the Bhagawad Gita and the Brahma Sutram. He went around the entire country and with his mastery of Sanskrit, established eight matams, religious centres, in various places. Scholars and disciples everywhere who adopted the Advaita doctrine flocked to him.

At the time of our story in Tamilnadu, that is, about nine hundred and eighty years ago, there was a great religious ferment in the country which had harmful aspects.

Veerasaivites and Veera Vaishnavites made their appearance everywhere and constantly fought with each other.

Sometimes Advaitins joined the fray. The religious arguments often led to fist fights.

 

There is an interesting story associated with the battle between the Saivites and the Vaishnavites:

One day, a Vaishnavite from Srirangam was walking along the outer walls of the Thiruvanaikaval temple. Suddenly a stone fell, bruised his head and drew blood. Looking up, he saw a crow seated on the dilapidated gopuram from which the stone had been dislodged. Forgetting his pain, he shouted in joy, “Oh Veera Vaishnavite crow from Srirangam! Do a good job of demolishing the Thiruvanaikaval Siva temple!”

In those days, therefore, there was much ill feeling between the Saivites and the Vaishnavites. It is essential to be aware of this in order to appreciate the story as it unfolds.

*****

As soon as the boat touched the shore, the Veerasaivite cursed Azhwarkadiyan once more, “May you perish!” before he went his way. The soldier from Kadambur who had accompanied Vandiyathevan then went off to fetch a horse from Thiruppanandal, which was nearby. Azhwarkadiyan and Vandiyathevan sat under a tree. Hundreds of birds were singing in chorus on its branches.

Both men were anxious to glean information from each other. They first talked of this and that.

"Thambi! You went to the Kadambur palace without me, didn’t you?”

"Nambi! I found it difficult to get there even by myself.”

"Is that so? How did you go? Or perhaps you didn’t go at all.”

"Of course I went. Do you think I will retreat once I decide to do something? The guards stopped me. But I spurred the horse on and entered. Those who tired to prevent me fell down and rolled on the ground. Before they could get up and surround me, my friend Kandan Maran arrived on the scene and took me inside.”

"That’s what I thought. You're a brave fellow. What happened then? Who were the people who had come there?”

"There were many dignitaries whose names I didn’t know. Pazhuvettarayar was there and so was his young wife.

Appappa, how beautiful she is!” "Did you see her?”

"Who could have missed her! My friend took me to the anthappuram and I saw her there. She stood out amongst the other women. In the midst of all those other dark hued beauties her face shone like the full moon. Ramba, Urvasi, Thilothama, Indrani, Chandrani, she surpasses all of them.”

“You seem enraptured. What happened then? Did the kuravai koothu take place?”

“Yes, it was very enjoyable. I thought of you.”

“I was not ordained to see it. What else happened?”

“There was a Velanattam. Devaralan and devaratti danced with great fervour.” “Did they go into a trance? Did they prophesy anything?”

“Aha! The one who was possessed said, All your wishes will be fulfilled. It will rain. There will be an abundant harvest.”

“Was that all?”

“He said something about the affairs of state. I didn’t pay attention.”

“Adada! You should have listened. Thambi, you're young and you seem to be a brave man. If someone says something about the government, you should pay attention.”

 

“That's true. I thought as much, just this morning.” “Why? What happened this morning?”

“Kandan Maran and I talked all the way till we reached the Kollidam. I believe the guests who had come to Kadambur met to discuss something after I went to sleep.”

“What did they discuss?”

“I don’t know. Kandan Maran was very vague, he was not very forthcoming. He said something important was going to happen and that he would tell me when the time came. He kept talking in riddles. Why swami? Do you know anything about this?”

“About what?”

“The country is full of rumours. A comet appears in the sky. The kingdom is in danger. Someone else is going to sit on the Chozha throne. They’re saying all sorts of things. The news has even reached Thondai Mandalam. Many important people seem to be meeting frequently to talk about who will succeed to the throne. What do you think? Who will it be?”

“I know nothing of all this, thambi. What do I have to do with affairs of state? I am a Vaishnavite. I am a devotee of the [12] Azhwars, roaming the countryside singing the pasurams I know...” the Nambi began to sing a pasuram.

I saw the golden-hued...

Vandiyathevan interrupted, “Please, I beg you, stop.” “Aiyo! You're asking me to stop singing a divine pasuram?”

“Azhwarkadiyan Nambi! I have a doubt. Shall I tell you what it is?”

“Go ahead.”

 

“You won't hit me with your staff.” 

“You? How can I hit you?”

“I’m suspicious of your Vaishnavism, your devotion, your pasurams — it’s all an act.” 

“Aiyo! What are you saying! What perfidy! What profanity!”

“It’s not profanity. Or perfidy. It’s just a disguise to cover up your liking for women. I’ve seen others like you. People who are mad about women. I don’t understand what they see in them. I hate any woman I see.”

“Thambi! There are people who are mad about women. Don't group me along with them. I’m no charlatan, you’re wrong to be so suspicious of me.”

“Then why did you ask me to give the girl in the palanquin a scroll? How can you let yourself think about someone else’s wife? The reason you wanted to come with me to the Kadambur palace was to see her, wasn’t it? Don’t deny it.”

“I won’t. But it's not for the reason you think. I have another good reason. That’s a long story.”

“There's no sign of the horse anyway. Let me listen to your story.”

“It’s not made up, it’s a true story. And a strange one. You'll be astounded if I tell you. Should I really tell you?”

“Tell me if you want to.”

“All right, I will. I’m in a hurry, but I’ll tell you and then leave. I might ask you for help again. Will you then help me without fail?”

“If it’s a just request, yes. You don’t have to tell me the story if you don’t want to.”

 

“No, no, I have to tell you. That demon Pazhuvettarayar's young wife, to whom I asked you to give the scroll — her name is Nandini. You’ll be amazed when I tell you about her. You’ll be furious that there's such injustice in this world.”

With this preface, Azhwarkadiyan started to relate Nandini’s story.


*****

“I was born in the Pandya country, in a village on the banks of the Vaigai. My family was Vaishnavite and abjectly poor. My father found a baby girl abandoned in a nandavanam, the garden adjoining the temple and brought her home. The baby was radiant and beautiful. Since she was found in the nandavanam, she was named Nandini and was brought up with great love and care. She was like a younger sister to me.

As she grew up, Nandini became increasingly devoted to Perumal. The neighbours thought she would become another Andal and capture the minds of devotees. I believed so too. I became her guardian after my father died. Both of us travelled around the country, spreading the doctrines of Vaishnavism through devotional music. When Nandini sang, wearing a garland of thulasi leaves, the audience would be enraptured. I went north to Thiruvengadam once, on a pilgrimage, and my return was delayed. Unfortunately, a disaster befell Nandini at that time.

This was what happened. The last battle between the Chozhas and Pandyas took place near Madurai. The Pandya army was annihilated. The Pandya king, Veerapandyan, had collapsed on the battlefield, severely wounded. Some of his trusted servants found him and brought him to Nandini's house in the dead of night. Taking pity on him, Nandini administered to his needs. But the Chozha soldiers soon discovered them, surrounded her house and murdered Veerapandyan. Enchanted by her beauty, Pazhuvettarayar captured Nandini and carried her away.

This happened three years ago. Since then, in spite of all my efforts, I’ve not seen Nandini even once. I want to see her, speak to her and rescue her if she wishes it. But I’ve had no success.”

Vandiyathevan was deeply moved when he heard this story. For a moment, he was tempted to tell Azhwarkadiyan that it was not Nandini who had been in the palanquin at the Kadambur palace but Maduranthakan. But something restrained him from doing so. He felt that the story could be a figment of Azhwarkadiyan’s imagination. Therefore, he did not reveal the secret he had learned in the Kadambur palace.

At that moment, at a short distance from them, they saw the soldier from Kadambur leading a horse. “Thambi, will you help me?” asked Azhwarkadiyan.

Vandiyathevan answered cautiously, “What help can I render? The entire Chozha country lies in the grip of Pazhuvettarayar's power. I’m just a helpless person, and on my own. What can I do? Nambi, you say you do not know anything about the affairs of state. Can't you tell me who has the right to succeed if anything happens to Sundara Chozharo” Vandiyathevan looked at Azhwarkadiyan attentively after he asked this question, to find out whether there was any change in his expression. But there was none at all.

“How am I supposed to know that? The Kudandhai josier may be able to tell you.”

“Oho! Is he really that clever?”

“He’s extremely clever! He's an astrologer as well as a mind reader. He's very knowledgeable about worldly affairs, and can predict them as well.”

 Vandiyathevan made up his mind to see the josier.

From time immemorial, man has always had a desire to know the future. Kings have desired it, so have paupers. Ascetics who had forsaken everything were not free from it, nor were householders, geniuses and idiots. Was it surprising then, that our young warrior, who had journeyed across the country, unafraid of dangers, who had dared to embark on a confidential mission for the government, also felt this desire?


Join our Telegram Group to get instant notification regarding New Chapter Updates: https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1https://t.me/+nIgFUn7Ds5E4MTQ1
Previous Chapter             Chapter List               Next Chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment